Trinity has a proud history because each generation has met its challenge with faith and service. Today we affirm our history by demonstrating that we too are willing to serve and make the commitment of time, talent and gifts, so that those who come after may find that we were faithful on our watch.
Within four years after the founding of New Albany in 1813, twelve attendees were holding Methodist-based services in a small shop on Pearl Street near Main Street. By the end of the century, the Methodist Episcopal Church of New Albany had grown to eight churches.
John Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the forerunner of Trinity United Methodist Church, was built in 1854. It was a two-room church and Sunday School serving Methodists in the east end of New Albany. Services at John Street were so well attended it became necessary to issue an admission ticket on alternate Sundays. The membership in 1882 was 230 and the church only seated about 75. The congregation at John Street had outgrown its building.
A meeting of representatives from all Methodist churches in the area was called for February 23, 1888. Plans were made for a new church with John Street as the nucleus. The congregation would include some members from Wesley Chapel and Centenary, as well as John Street. The name Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church was chosen to represent the three churches. It was to be located facing Spring Street on the southwest corner of 13th and Spring Streets.
The Trinity congregation continued to meet in the John Street Church, building the first time being September 30, 1888. The cornerstone for the new building was laid on July 10, 1889 and the first service was held on April 20, 1890.
By 1953, membership and attendance at 13th and Spring Streets had grown so large that Trinity began holding two Sunday morning services. Average attendance made Trinity the largest congregation in a city known as “The City of Churches.”
Trinity became troubled by a lack of space, structural problems and other concerns. In 1955, the congregation accepted the recommendation of the District Relocation Committee to relocate at 2796 Charlestown Road in New Albany. Plans were drawn and the cornerstone was laid on September 8, 1957. The finished project was to be in the form of the Alpha-Omega Greek letters when viewed from the air. The first phase, a fellowship hall to be used as a temporary sanctuary, kitchen and classrooms was completed in 1958.
The activities building to be used for a Boy Scout Troop, classroom space and church school activities was built in 1965. The present sanctuary was completed in 1972 and continues to affirm the emphasis placed on the spiritual life of the family. In 1998, the addition of the Family Life Center (Murr Hall), a new kitchen, several classrooms and a storage area was completed.
This was compiled from previous church histories. The 2004 History, the newest of our church, is available in the church office.